Saturday, April 23, 2011

To Whalie

Worn out
and limp.

Its smile
unwavering on its face.

Its eyes warm
and ever loving.

But it's broken.

Almost falling.
The poor stuffed blue whale in her hands.

The waves are licking
her feet seductively.

Urging her to come
with them.

The wind blows and
kisses her ear.

And the fabric of her dress
hugs and
holds her close.

The world is changing
as dusk arrives.

Her heart aches for the toy
who believes it has a life.

And tears flow
at this very moment
as she knows
the truth.

She faces the sea
boundless before her.

It came from
the sandbox they used to play in.

It knows nothing of water.
It's all a lie.

And the pleasure she feels—
the world has taken her
to greater heights.

While it remains unseeing
through its scratched
plastic eyes.

It watches her in her sleep.
Yet unknowing as she sins.

The sea reaches her waist now.

A silhouette of a whale
surfaced in the horizon
backlit by the setting sun.

Insignificant
is the doll in her hand.

Plastic tea cups.
Hand holding hand.
A dance on their way home.

They thought it was love.

Darling,
it's time we say goodbye.

1 comment:

anonymous said...

To Bear-Bear

15 months have passed since that first time we held hands. 15 months of laughter and of tears. 15 months of disappointment and love. 15 months of happiness.

I can't do what you normally do here. I can't write the way you do. This is the best I can manage, and I hope it's enough.

There's so much to tell you, and I really don't know where to start.

You were my first true friend, and, ridiculously, you’re still my only one. You allowed me to open up, to share more of myself than I’d have ever dared to. You showed me I could be more than I was.

I promised you a bottomless vault for you to seal away all your troubles. A place where you could feel safe and loved despite your flaws. Well, at least I kept the last part true - you were loved, more deeply than anything I have ever known.

But the vault had a floor, and it wasn't empty. You saw the light reflecting off my own troubles reaching up from the abyss. They were few, paltry compared to yours.

But it was enough. Enough to make you realise I hadn’t the strength you thought you saw in me.

Again and again, you left me hanging. And again and again, you took me back.

Not this time though.

I would do anything to hold you in my arms again. To once again smell the faint scent of strawberries in your hair as they tickle my face. To gaze into your brown eyes and feel them gaze back. To feel your fingertips on mine. To kiss your nose.

I told you I was over you, but I’m not. Not entirely. The ache is still there, wrested to the ground by my promise to leave you alone.

You have a new life now, and you don’t need me dragging you back. You don’t need me there chasing a childish dream of love.

You came to me as a crystal set in stone; beautiful but unpolished and fragile. But now you’re a diamond; strong and even more lustrous than ever, yet brittle when hit wrongly.

I’ll always be there if you need me to catch you. And I’ll always be proud of you.

Have fun out there.