Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Rest In Peace

この時代 思いどおりの
希望なんて持てない

"This era, just as I thought, does not yield anything something like hope."
---

9 lives.
3 down.
Leaving it all behind.

At the end of my life, I went back to visit my Wonderland again.
The amusement park lay in ruins now.
All the rides stayed stationary under many layers of dust.

I sat on the merry-go-round and hugged my favourite wooden horse for a while.
In chill of wind, I could only hear the rustling of the leaves.
It used to feel so warm, when my playmates joined in the fun.
The horses would go up and down, with joyous music playing in our ears.

I remembered coming here for Christmas.
The feeling was bizzare but beautiful.

Hope was bubbling subtilely within.

I tasted candyfloss.
But ended crying when it fell onto the floor.
But I had my playmate to comfort me.

What a piece of memory.
But all the same precious to me.

In this deserted ruin, my playmates aren't here anymore.
For the last moment, I saw their reflection in the shattered mirror of the deserted horror house.
A mere image, but I smiled at them.
And one of them returned the smile.
Only a ghost of the cheeky grin that we had on our faces.

But that was enough.

Tears flowed as the giant iron gates closed behind me.
My path was chosen for me.
Now I can never return.
I dared to turn around for one last fleeting look.
And gasped.

I saw myself behind those locked iron gates.
Sprawled on the ground, all battered.

I wanted to take a step back closer to take a look.
But there was a burst of light that halted me in my steps.
The amusement park was bursting with life once more.
My favourite horse was bobbing up and down again.

Suddenly there were laughter.
And my playmates came running towards my lifeless self and pulled me up to my feet.
I took a bite out of one of their candyfloss and before I knew it, I was up and running again.

I watched on as an awkward smile spread across my face.
I have yet to figure out what's going out.

But my doubts were soon cleared, when I pointed up and waved goodbye, as I scooted off with my playmates to the merry-go-round.

As their figures faded into the distance, I glanced up to see a new sign had replaced the old one that said Wonderland.

I chuckled softly as I begun to take my leave, filling with content.

For I may have died, but at least I know the ghost of me lives happily within the amusement park that is now my Memories.

"I had hopes in you.
And I always did."

No comments: